3 The Square
The present building, with its odd roof design and gables, goes round the corner and includes Nos. 2 and 4 Bath Street as well as 3 The Square. It dates from early in the twentieth century and was designed by J.G.T. West, an eminent local architect of the time. Scotts & Co, outfitters, were there from 1907 until 1971. Since 1973, it has been a Chinese restaurant and/or takeaway.
There was previously a pub on this site. It was known as the Unicorn in 1761, as the Sun in 1794, and the Rising Sun by 1815. In the 1890s it was a temperance (no alcohol) hotel. It was demolished in about 1900.
See Glossary for explanations of technical terms.
© AAAHS and contributors 2013