Beautiful plasterwork ceilings in the historic rooms of the Guildhall

You are here

Visit The Guildhall

Baroque splendour for all to enjoy

Guildhall was the civic heart of Abingdon-on-Thames in the 18th and 19th centuries. Part of the front of the building dates from 1400 and the Roysse Room was a school at the time of Mary Tudor, established in 1556. Restored to its former status since transferring back to the Town Council in 2010, the glorious baroque rooms have been in use for receptions and public events.

The team which runs the Abbey Cinema in the 1960s extension to The Guildhall and the Unicorn in the Abbey Buildings, is now managing The Guildhall facility on behalf of the Town Council.

After a four year closure and an extensive refurbishment The Guildhall is now open to the public and taking bookings from corporate events to weddings and christenings. As a historic building, there are more than fifteen varying floor levels so access has been improved and a lift has been installed.

The Guildhall restoration included refurbishing the kitchen to professional standards and there are now two resident chefs to cater for everything from bespoke wedding receptions to food during films.  There are exciting plans for pop up supper clubs, cooking demonstrations and film themed food events as well as numerous events organised by Abingdon’s thriving clubs and societies.

To find out more information or to send a booking enquiry please click here to access the dedicated website for The Guildhall.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Back to Top