https://www.abingdon.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/history_twittys_almshouses_e-e1620211545443.jpg 500 367 abingdon_admin https://www.abingdon.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/abingdon-on-thames-town-council-logo.png abingdon_admin2013-04-23 15:01:212021-07-20 19:35:33Twitty’s Almshouses, St Helen’s Churchyard
Twitty’s Almshouses, St Helen’s Churchyard
Charles Twitty was an Abingdon man who moved to London and became rich during a long career as a senior official in the Exchequer. He died in 1706, leaving significant benefactions in Westminster, where he had been living, but also £2000 to his native town. Of this, £1700 was to be used to build the almshouses named after him, which were intended to house three men and three women.
The almshouses are on the north side of St Helen’s Churchyard. The building is of red brick, with a hipped roof, a pedimented gable fronting the central hall, and a square lantern above.
See Glossary for explanations of technical terms.
© AAAHS and contributors 2013