Primary menu

You are here

County Police Station (Former)


(see long history)

About to be remodelled at the time of writing as part of the Old Gaol development, the former County Police Station dominates the west side of Bridge Street. It was built in 1856-7 and the architect was J B Clacy. When built, it had domestic accommodation for a superintendent and a sergeant, and stables to the rear for them to use when visiting outposts elsewhere in the county. The building to the left in a very similar style replaced a former court room, but this was demolished in 2011 to make a new entrance to the Old Gaol.

Inside the police station, there was a rabbit-warren of rooms, and all the domestic areas had been converted to offices by 1999 when it closed. However, it did have a suite of three cells deep inside. It is unlikely that these will survive the redevelopment.

The building is currently awaiting redevelopment and is not open to the public.

Click here for a PDF with further details.

See Glossary for explanations of technical terms.

© AAAHS and contributors 2013


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Additional Details

Public access: 
Exterior only
Family/Person connections: 

J. B. Clacy, architect

Back to Top