Primary menu

Historic Buildings

The late eighteenth century was a period when prisons and prison building were prominent in public... more
The Old Anchor Inn on its present site can be dated to precisely 30 August 1884 when its license... more
The present building is largely a reconstruction of the early twentieth century by local architect... more
The Long Gallery is one of the few surviving buildings of the great medieval abbey of Abingdon.... more
The Long Alley almshouse is an elegant building, still in use for its original purpose. But it also... more
Lacies Court is the headmaster’s house at Abingdon School but it had a long and colourful earlier... more
There was an inn on this site before 1554 when it was noted in a survey as The Bell. Its status as... more
The Gateway dates from the late fifteenth century and was the main entrance to Abingdon Abbey. A... more
This self-confident, classical-fronted building on The Square is the former Congregational Church.... more
At the south-east corner of Albert Park, where Park Road and Park Crescent meet, there stands a... more
The Tomkins family were wealthy maltsters during the eighteenth century and built Abingdon’s three... more
Christ Church opened in 1961 in the large Grade II listed barn at Northcourt Farm, the most... more
The Checker dates from the 1260s and is one of the oldest of the surviving buildings of the great... more
Brick Alley is the name of the almshouses facing into St Helen’s churchyard along its south side.... more
These three-storey houses were built soon after 1823 in a Corporation initiative that was unusual... more
No.55 with its neighbour No.51 are part of a timber framed row of rental properties built some time... more
No.48 is one of the few surviving early houses in West St Helen Street. It is timber-framed, and... more
Behind the elegant Georgian façade of No.30 there is a long sequence of building and adaptation to... more
The Abingdon Baptist community dates from 1650, but it was not until 1700 that a dedicated chapel... more
Abingdon Bridge was built in 1416 by local town initiative, not by the Abbey. A guild named the... more
This “exceedingly handsome” building – as John Betjeman described it – was erected between 1678 and... more
No.28 is one of the largest and most impressive houses in East St Helen Street. A building on the... more
From 1937 to 2008, 54 Ock Street and the subsidiary buildings behind it housed the printing works... more
This house stands on the east side of the street and next door but one to St Nicolas' Church. It is... more


Back to Top