Now on display in the museum.
The town of Abingdon was granted Borough status in 1556, beginning an exciting new chapter in its civic history. The Corporation replaced the abbey and medieval guilds in administrative duties, and oversaw the funding of the County Hall’s construction, the conversion of the Medieval St. John’s Hospital into the Magistrates Court and Council Chamber. This exhibition displays the wonderful collection of silverware that was gradually assembled since the Charter was granted, representing the Town’s eclectic history and a proud tradition of civic responsibility.
Please note there are 86 steps to the attic gallery. There are landings and chairs available at intervals.