St Michael and All Angels Church, Park Road
St Michael’s was built in 1864-7 on Park Road, just south of the newly-created Albert Park. Christ’s Hospital, which owned what was then an open field north of Ock Street, had started to develop it for housing.
The new church was built through the efforts of the Reverend Nathaniel Dodson, the indefatigable vicar of St Helen’s and rector of St Nicolas’ from 1824 until a short time before his death in 1867.
The old town-centre parish churches could no longer accommodate the growing Abingdon population. The new St Michael’s had space for 650 worshippers, and was needed to cater for those who already lived and worked in the crowded courts on Ock Street. It would later serve as the local church for the new housing as it developed.
The church was designed by George Gilbert Scott, the most prominent British architect of the time. Scott created a restrained and dignified building. It is in a simple gothic style with a tall west bellcote, and is built of roughly-coursed rubble stone.
Interior fittings include a reredos of 1878 by Edwin Dolby and an altar of 1911 by Harry Redfern, both of them well know local architects.
See Glossary for explanations of technical terms.
© AAAHS and contributors 2013