Primary menu

Historic Buildings

The Gateway was the main entrance to Abingdon Abbey.  The large central arch was for mounted... more
Stratton House dominates the small square that closes Bath (formerly Boar) Street since it was... more
‘The Warren’ was a large Victorian house built on the Radley Road in the 1890s by Adam Fettiplace... more
The former Lion Hotel, High Street (largely demolished)In its heyday this popular establishment in... more
Benjamin Tomkins was a rich maltster in Abingdon and a staunch Baptist. In 1732 he left £1600 in... more
Summerfield was a large house on the west side of Wootton Road, built in 1902 and designed by... more
The north-east corner of The Square currently has two buildings: Barclay’s Bank at No. 2 and, to... more
This striking house is even more complex than it appears. It is broadly T-shaped in plan, with the... more
In the triangle of land bounded by Radley Road, Oxford Road and St John’s Road to the north-east of... more
Although officially in Culham rather than Abingdon, Maud Hales Terrace is passed by all who walk... more
Hidden away in a modern housing estate just outside the town centre is the ruin of Barton (often... more
Old Abbey House stands just within the precincts of the former Abingdon Abbey, facing the gateway... more
The organ blowing chamber in St Helen’s churchyard, Abingdon, is an excellent example of a little-... more
The Unicorn Theatre is inside a multi-phase stone-built structure inserted lengthwise into a space... more
In the late seventeenth century, many properties in this area were owned by Benjamin Tomkins, a... more
The house at 12 Ock Street Is a timber-framed building that has been dated to the late fifteenth... more
Charles Twitty was an Abingdon man who moved to London and became rich during a long career as a... more
This early Georgian building was built in 1756-7 for Joseph Tomkins.  The Tomkins were among the... more
No. 26 East St Helen Street is the most complete surviving medieval house in Abingdon. It was built... more
The Guildhall is a complex set of buildings, now linked together. At its heart is the medieval L‑... more
Trinity Church was built in 1873-5 as the new Wesleyan Methodist church. It is on Conduit Road,... more
The Crown & Thistle is a multi-period courtyard inn, probably taking its name from the union of... more
This church, which stands near the Market Place, is one of the few remaining buildings from the... more
St Michael’s was built in 1864-7 on Park Road, just south of the newly-created Albert Park. Christ’... more

Pages

Back to Top